Sholver village

The name Sholver is likely to be  of Old Norse origin. For centuries it remained a remote hamlet with  cottages and farms grouped around a central green. Once cotton milling was introduced Sholver became an important source of high quality coal .

In 1966 Oldham County Borough Council began construction on a huge housing estate on previously untouched pasture to provide 1700 dwellings. These photographs were taken by Ordnance Survey in the early 1950s as part of the survey of Greater Manchester and record the area as it was before its character changed.

Click the photograph to see all images in Sholver. The photographs in the  gallery comprise of photos from the following six Kms; SD9406, SD9407, SD9408, SD9506, SD9507 and SD9508.  

4
11
7
3
7
10
10
6
22
20